We were also presented with the “Bumblebee” explanation: Physics says that a bumblebee should not be able to fly, but it somehow does.
Similarly, common sense says that the following elements of Danish culture should not work:
- they pay 60% income tax, without complaints
- they pay 25% sales tax, without complaints
- their welfare system pays about the same as minimum wage, so there is little economic benefit to having a job
- there is little acknowledgement of exceptional work
- you can be fired or laid-off, without warning or compensation
But, somehow it all works.