Monday, January 09, 2006

Joining Spin Class at DTU

So...After a month of unsuccessfully trying to make it to a DTU spin class I finally went. Most of the time the classes conflicted with Danish or school. The one time I was able to make it, I spent about 20 minutes trying to find the place and then when I finally did the door was locked. After knocking a few times I decided to give up rather than relentlessly knock and make a fool of myself in front of a bunch of Danish strangers.

Last Friday I finally was able to make it to class. It was a beginners class, which I figured was a good idea even though I'd done a winter's worth of spinning in Canada. Well...I turns out that going to a beginner's class didn't really make much difference considering that all instructions were in Danish. To boot, the instructor was an Italian guy who knew Danish but no English (so clarification was kind of out of the question). After struggling to figure out all the bells and whistles on the spin bikes with the help of the lady beside me (which were way too complicated for what they were), I proceeded to follow an our long class in Danish.

One thing that surprised me was the demographics in the classes. At Queen's, a sports team or clubs mostly have undergrads, and a handful of masters/PhDs/law/medicines join them. Here it's common for professors and university staff to join clubs, so basically I was the youngest person in the classes!

No comments: